With the date of commencement of Paper 1 of SSC MTS 2019 approaching near, aspirants must have a thousand questions running in their mind. They might feel that cracking this exam is impossible without joining a coaching class. So, it is time for us to show candidates some of the tried and tested strategies which have helped many in clearing the exam in the first attempt, without coaching.
Coming to the exam pattern, SSC MTS will be held in three phases; the first phase is Paper 1 (Computer Based Test CBT), the second is Paper 2 Descriptive Language, and the third phase is the document verification. SSC MTS 2019 Paper 1 will be conducted from 2nd August 2019 to 6th September 2019. On qualifying Paper 1, the selected candidates will have to appear for Paper 2, which will be held on 17th November 2019.
Overview of SSC MTS 2019 Prelims
Let us first have an overview of the exam before starting with the preparation strategy. SSC MTS Paper 1 comprises 100 objective type multiple choice questions, which need to be completed in 90 minutes. The following table shows the marks distribution of the paper:
|Subject Name||Number of Questions||Maximum Marks||Total Duration|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||25||25||
Now that you have acquainted yourself with the syllabus, let us now move to the preparation strategy of SSC MTS.
Preparation Strategies for SSC MTS 2019
- Gather the relevant study material: Before starting the preparation of the examination, you need to have the right books and study materials. You can talk to your friends who are preparing for the same exam and take suggestions while making the book list.
- Follow a subject-specific approach while making a schedule: You need to know the subjects of your strengths and weaknesses. Prepare such a timetable where the weaker subjects are given more time and at the same time, keep on practicing the topics of your strength.
- Read newspapers every day: Developing the habit of reading the newspaper every day will help you in maximizing your score in English as well as in General Awareness. Not only in Paper 1, but the knowledge about the current happenings in the country and the world will help aspirants in attempting the descriptive Paper 2 if an essay is asked on a current topic.
- Aim for a high score in Paper 1: Aspirants need to note that SSC MTS Paper 1 is not just qualifying in nature. Instead, the marks of the tier-1 exam will be added in the final merit list. So, the aim should not be only to clear the cut-off; the focus needs to be on scoring high in the exam to get an edge in the second tier.
- Attempt mock tests: After you complete the preparation of the entire syllabus, you need to start attempting SSC MTS mock tests. Plan your timetable in such a way that you are able to attempt one mock test every day. You can use the test series offered by Gradeup for attempting mock tests. After completing a mock test, analyze it. With daily practice, you will be able to rectify your mistakes and build command over the topics.
Benefits of Preparing for SSC MTS without Coaching
- A coaching center follows a specific timetable and each candidate has to follow it. But, when you are preparing on your own, you get the benefit of customizing your timetable according to your strengths and weaknesses.
- When you are preparing on your own, you will have to make notes, where you are going to note the important topics pertaining to the subject matter in your own language. This will facilitate easy understanding when you are using these notes later for revision, unlike the notes given at coaching centers.
- When you are preparing at home without coaching, you will save a lot of time, which otherwise would have got wasted in commuting. You can use this time to practice questions and revise topics.
Every candidate applying for the exam is thoroughly prepared, which leads to stiff competition. That is why the toughness of the exam is rising from the last few years, leading to increasing cut-offs. But, a well-organized study plan and these preparation tips and strategies can help aspirants in clearing SSC MTS 2019 in the first attempt, even without coaching.